Sunday 14 August 2011

Jehovah's Witness at the Bus Stop

While I was waiting for the bus yesterday morning (on what was a rather nice, sunny day) I was approached by a woman in large sunglasses smiling an unnaturally wide smile.

"Good morning." she said, "How're you today?"

I couldn't tell whether she was crazy or just being polite -- maybe she too was waiting for a bus, and wanted some company -- so I replied and we got chatting about the weather.

But suddenly, her attention shifted.

"Are you a Bible reader?"

That's when I realised I'd been cornered by a Jehovah's Witness -- for the first time in my life. I wasn't sure what to do, and didn't want to be rude, so decided to be honest: "No."

She pulled out a stack of Watchtower magazines and started telling me that the Bible isn't just about God; that we can learn a lot more through interpretation of the Bible's teachings, like how to be better people.

I must have looked uninterested, because she decided to change tactic.

"There's an interesting article about cork?"

No comments:

Post a Comment